Covid-19 Competition Time:
Click on the following web link to find out more about a Worldwide competition.
Design and Technology prepares children to take part in the development of tomorrow’s rapidly changing world. Through this subject children are given the opportunity to expand and experiment their own creative ideas, whilst learning new skills and reflecting on technology in today’s society.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To develop knowledge and understanding of: materials and components; mechanisms and control systems; structures; existing products, and health and safety
- To develop the skills of designing, planning, making, adapting and evaluating products for a particular purpose
- To look for needs, wants and opportunities and respond to them by developing a range of ideas and making products and systems
- To develop an understanding of technological processes, products and their manufacture, and their contribution to our society
- To nurture creativity and innovation and become creative and autonomous problem solvers, as individuals and as part of a team.
- To reflect on and evaluate present and past design and technology, its uses and effects
- To promote pupils spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
TEACHING AND LEARNING APPROACHES
A variety of teaching techniques are used for design and technology to appeal to a range of learning styles. The principal aim is to develop our children’s knowledge, skills and understanding in the subject, whilst providing enjoyable, creative and inspiring design and technology lessons. During design and technology lessons, children are encouraged to apply their knowledge and understanding when developing ideas, planning, making and evaluating products. Children are provided with a mixture of whole class teaching, individual and group activities, as well as homework opportunities, encouraging both independence and collaborative working.
When approaching a Design and Technology project, children will be taught different skills based on how to Design, Make and Evaluate. They will also be given a grounding in Technical Knowledge and Cooking and Nutrition.
The new curriculum allows the opportunity for teachers to plan design and technology projects that link with their topics. This enables children to learn through creativity and enjoyment.
Throughout school, children are encouraged and led through the designing, making and evaluating process which suits the natural enquiring minds with which they enter school.
If you have any queries, or concerns, about the teaching and learning of Design and Technology at St. Gregory's, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs Goodwin (D&T subject lead).
Additional DT Curriculum Resources
|ST GREGORY Progression of skills DT.docx||Download|